Sunday, May 8, 2011

#9: A Member of the Club

#9: Become a covenant member at my church, The Village
I am super excited to say that in March I went to the two-day membership class, shared my testimony, and signed the covenant!!! It was quite a process but I am so thankful for it because it forced me to take this decision very seriously. In the past, I have always been a part of churches that simply have you walk down the isle, talk to the preacher, and presto...you are a member of the church. Because it is all that I have known, it seemed like the right way to do things but I'm not so sure of that anymore. I believe that it is invaluable to know the doctrine of the church and what standards the church will hold you to. The idea of the church holding you to a standard may make some people uncomfortable but what I have learned (and feel like a bit of a moron for not previously thinking this way) is that being a Christian does not afford us the easy life and as a community of believers we are called by the Lord to be honest with one another and point each other to the cross. Without this serious accountability in our lives, we can not live to the standard in which God has called us to.
All of this to say, I am grateful that my beliefs align with this fabulous church and more importantly, I urge you brothers and sisters in Christ to become committed to a church body in which your beliefs align! If you are not a believer, know that Christ loves you and that the church should be a place in which you are loved and accepted. If you live in the DFW area and do not have a church to call your home, please check out The Village Church on a Saturday or Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment