Wednesday, July 27, 2011

All About Africa: 2

We spent day 3 of the trip in Uganda. We stayed at this "hotel" in Entebbe where I slept under my first mosquito net. 
I quickly discovered the golden rule of sleeping in Africa: once you're in, you're in to stay! It is quite comedic to watch someone tuck in their net so that it fully encompasses the bed, try to squeeze through the smallest hole possible, re-tuck the part of the net in which they used as an entrance hole, and then realize that after all of this hard work they forgot to turn off the light. Who am I speaking of? ME, of course. After two nights of this madness, I told my roommate that I would like to invent mosquito nets that zip up the side......smart, right?
***Note to reader: You heard it here first. ;)
All laughing aside, I'm very grateful that we had a mosquito net over each bed in which we slept. So many Africans are not afforded this luxury and are therefore many times more likely to contract malaria.
We decided to venture out and explore the country's capital city, Kampala. It is easily the most congested place I have ever been! New York and Chicago do not even begin to compare. Street signs are merely a suggestion and the car horn is used as a means of communication by ALL drivers (not quite how we use it in the states).


We had lunch at a mall in Kampala. It was crazy; we had the choice of Asian, Mexican, or Italian food. They also had a "Chicken Express". Haha! I decided to go with the safest choice and ordered pizza.
Here's my fabulous team at lunch!
Definitely a blessed first day in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment