Monday, August 15, 2011

All About Africa: 6

More on day 1 at the orphanage......
We were able to do SO much during our visit on Monday. Not only did we play, sing, and talk (as shown in my last post), we learned all about LuLu nuts. Apparently, the LuLu falls from the tree as a fruit. Once the children eat the fruit a pit/nut is left. This most closely resembles a large hazelnut. Unfortunately, the fruit had been consumed prior to our visit, and because of our differing cultural experiences, I am still uncertain as to what this fruit looks like.
Jocelyn (the precious nurse), the mothers, and a few helpful girls were kind enough to introduce to us the inventive ways that they are using this nut. It was explained to us that they make cooking oil, soap, medicine, lotion, and many other things from this nut.
Isn't Jocelyn beautiful?!?!
She has an even more beautiful spirit!

Here is the LuLu nut process........
Step 1: Crush the LuLu. Let me tell you, this is HARD work! I was the first from our group to try this and I was incredibly embarrassed by my lack of strength and rhythm. These sweet children were waaaaay more skilled at this than me!

Step 2: Sift the ground LuLu and re-grind the large pieces. This step I eventually mastered, but not without much help.

 Step 3: Cook the LuLu powder over an open flame. It was quite funny because one of the women asked me if I had ever seen a fire made out of sticks. I assured her that I had experienced them when camping. Of course, she didn't know what camping was because for them, every day is like camping. ;)
Another reminder that we are blessed beyond measure here in the US!!!


Step 4: Put the cooked LuLu into bags and place into this interesting contraption.

Step 5: Turn, turn, and turn some more!!! This is an exciting step and everyone gathers 'round as the women and a few men use all of their incredible strength to press out the oil.
Laughter and fellowship are integral parts of this LuLu nut oil-making process. I feel blessed and honored to have participated in every step!
We laughed and told them that in America, people would pay BIG bucks for this all-natural, organic oil. Haha!

Aren't we blessed to simply get in our cars, choose from any of 5 or so different stores, and have an enormous spread of food at our fingertips. All of which takes about 15 minutes. In Sudan, they worked for 4 days to simply produce some oil. Oh what riches we take for granted each day!


No comments:

Post a Comment